Thursday 29 March 2018

Netflix and Me

You will create a short vlog about identity, long form TV Drama and Netflix and/or other catch-up ‘TV’ services.

  • Focus on your own identity (gender/ethnicity/sexuality/age) - is there representation on Netflix?
  • Is representation better than on traditional broadcast television?
  • What do the Netflix shows you watch say about you?

My opinion: I think that there is a certain representation on Netflix, that focus especially on my identity, for example most movies and shows on Netflix are aimed at a demographic of females over 15 and the two are mostly romance, such as Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars, and I think this is because girls around my age are conformed to a stereotype of where they're meant to be interested in romance and gossip related things. - filmed in bedroom


 Though personally, I don't think that's entirely true because not all girls are into romance or a romcom, some can even be into action, thriller or even horror. But I guess the reason why we're conformed to that stereotype is because we're supposed to be seen as weak and gentle, we're supposed to like the colour pink and all things sentimental, but then again, I'm against this stereotype of women. - filmed outside in the garden, cause a garden is stereotypically a romantic setting.


However, even though I'm against all stereotypes, I still think it's good to have representations because if people watched something they didn't relate to or have any interest in, the movie or show would be boring. So I guess it's better for movies and shows to give off representations because people would be able to relate in some way and perhaps find comfort, rather than showing movies and TV shows that are traditional, which might attract a niche audience of young people because most people might find it dull and boring and unrelatable, because today's society is all about different types of representations and stereotypes. Personally, I don't watch Netflix movies or TV shows cause I don't really like Netflix, I find that most movies and TV shows on it are quite dull and they're just not my thing. I'm more of a horror fan, so I like to watch a lot of horror movies, and Netflix has really boring ones, so it's a no from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment